Friday, December 11, 2009

Puppets in the Classroom

I can't believe that it's been almost two months since I last wrote anything - that's coincides almost perfectly with the start of my new profession in the Seattle school district: PUPPET LADY. That's not what they hired me to do but it's what I'm doing anyway:0). I'm actually a paraprofessional who works with special needs kids but I've found that Miss Pearl and Pirate Pete can connect with autistic kids much better than I can. I love doing this! I don't know where this will lead but for now it's a great fit for me. I love the adventure of going to different schools, meeting new people and having to think on my feet.

My last job was in a spanish immersion program with 1st graders during which I was not allowed to speak any english! That is, until the last 10 minutes of the class when the teacher told the students (in spanish) that she had a special treat for them. At that point, Miss Pearl and I got to tell the kids how fun it had been to watch them learning spanish and trying to figure out what the teacher was saying. If you think it's challenging to jump into a classroom and work with kids you've never met before, try adding that you can't speak to them! It was actually quite funny. The teacher loved Miss Pearl and asked if I ever do birthday parties :)....so I gave her my card. Like I said, this is a great fit for me for now and I can't wait to see where it will lead. I'm sure that all this practice and exposure will lead to something and I'm trusting that God is in the midst of all of it. Joy upon joy.

No comments: