Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Valentines Day

Mom: "you're always so chipper in the morning"
Me: "would you rather that I was grumpy?"
Mom: "no, but I just wish I could be so chipper."
Me: "well, Mom, I choose to be chipper every day, my attitude is my choice - you can choose."
We've actually been having some really good days and the difference has been the visits from Maria the physical therapist. We are now in a routine where Mom needs to be up and ready to go by 10 and it makes such a difference. Maria reminded me how crucial routines are and so I push through the initial resistance to getting up. I try to do so in creatively cheerful and positive ways. I've found that if I give her medication between 8 and 9 (depending on when Dad gets up) and then let her lay there for awhile it works really well (most of the time!)
Yesterday, Valentines Day, was a good example. I start reminding her what day it is and we start reminiscing about Greg and his birth (he just turned 60! shhhhh :0). From there we start the process of getting up, chatting all the while. That's where the chipper conversation came in. What was really sweet was when she was headed to the breakfast table she stopped at Dad's loveseat to ask him for a kiss. He stood up and they wished each other Happy Valentine's Day and kissed - their love for each other still so real and sweet that it makes me so glad I'm able to help them stay together as long as possible.
During the evening news there was a story about a couple that had been married for 71 years and it was such a touching story that we all couldn't help but smile. And I told Mom and Dad that they reminded me of that couple. And they do. Their love is not perfect but it's evident and they show it to each other in hundred different ways. And I'm privileged to be able to witness it daily.
Happy Valentines Day, Mom and Dad, and thanks for showing us how to stick together through thick and thin!

No comments: