Monday, February 6, 2012

To Sleep or Not to Sleep

Once again I'm struck by how much I need to stand firm and make good decisions for all of us. At the same time, I'm trying to be sensitive to how hard this is for Mom. She doesn't feel good and I cannot ever fully understand that because I'm not in her shoes. Yet when I go to a place of sympathy I can't always make the overall choice that is best for everyone. I'm tempted to become co-dependent and enmeshed - a place I've lived before and am too easily drawn back into.
The past two days are a good example. Last night we had a small group over to begin praying for and planning a new church plant. There were 7 adults and 3 children (including us) so not a very big group but it set Mom off so she refused to leave their bedroom. She had been watching the Super Bowl with Dad and decided she was too tired and lay down for a nap at 4:30. When the group came at 6, she would not get up even though we were all on the other side of the house. She lay there napping until I made her get up and change/get ready for bed. I had told her repeatedly that I was concerned about her sleeping most of the afternoon because it didn't bode well for sleep that night. And I was right - she was awake and talking and upset several times during the night. Poor Dad is exhausted and is doing his reading/napping routine on the couch.
She woke up this morning, angry, frustrated and complaining of hurting all over. That is until Mike the visiting nurse came to check her blood and then she was all smiles and cheer. He asked her how she was feeling and if she had any pain and she said ......."no!" So what is the truth? Is she in pain and miserable or not? That's when I realize that I have to do what's best for her in the most creative and cheerful way that I can and not let her complaining dissuade me. How tricky to be the adult with childlike and yet astute (some of the time) parents. And how much sleep does she really need? To sleep or not to let her sleep, that is the question.

No comments: