Monday, September 22, 2008

Where in the world are we going?

I've been avoiding writing on this blog - even though I really want to. I guess I'm struggling with the potentially public aspect of it and that worries the performer part of me. What if I don't do it right?!! Oh brother. So pushing those fears aside, I need to start communicating about this journey to Africa.

Well..., I thought I was going to the Philippines to work in an orphanage and also with victims of sex trafficking. I started raising my support and it turns out that no one else was called to this particular mission. Just me (and Leigh who is one of a dynamic duo who lead Global Support). Since the trip to the Philippines needed at least 5 team members, Leigh asked me if I'd be willing to shift gears and go on a reconnaisance trip to Rwanda, Burundi and possibly Malawi. WHAT???? Africa? After I had prayed, I talked to Hallack and suddenly I remembered how something similar had happened to me when I went to Thailand in 1980. I went with Food for the Hungry to serve in a refugee camp for six months. After going through the training, the directors asked me if I'd be willing to serve in Bangkok instead of one of the camps. As "Visitor and Personnel Assistant." Not exactly what I'd signed up for but I finally realized that serving includes being willing to serve wherever I'm needed. And it was an incredible experience that I cherish. Even in Bangkok.

So now I'm going to Africa. Since this is another shift I'm pretty sure that God is continuing to grow me in the area of flexibility, servanthood and, oh yeah, letting go of control. I get it God. Maybe I really will get it this time.

No comments: