Saturday, October 11, 2008

Back to Africa

We have our tickets and the intinerary is coming together - at last I'm beginning to imagine what these two transformative weeks will look like. We leave November 2nd at 12:45pm and arrive in Nairobi at 8:25pm on the 3rd. After spending the night in a guest house, we'll fly out the next day at noon and arrive in Kigali at 1pm. We leave Kigali on the 17th at 1:45pm and land in Seattle on the 18th at 2:35pm.

I don't even know where to start with all the emotions that are clamoring for my attention. In addition to reviewing my french, I've been immersing myself in the history of Rwanda & Burundi and I find myself tearing up/feeling tender at unpredictable moments. In preparation, I've been reading We wish to inform you that tomorrow we will be killed with our families which takes the story of Hotel Rwanda and goes into much greater breadth and depth. I'm very grateful that I have time to absorb a portion of the pain before being dropped in the middle of a (still) very raw and fragile cultural setting. The women I've met with who've been there already assure me that there are stories of hope and regeneration - that's the part that I'm most looking forward to. Oh yeah, and that I might get to play soccer in a nearby village and teach women to sew! I know that we'll be spending one day at a genocide memorial in order to grapple with and grieve the horror of what this country has been through. This is important to me since I believe I need to repent my part of being unaware and indifferent - as was almost all of the international community. I want my heart to be broken like this horror broke the heart of God. I ask for prayers for the strength to embrace the pain and not put up walls - my first inclination. I'll be keeping my journal with me at all times and am grateful that I have this outlet for processing - sometimes I'm surprised at what comes out. I will strive to be honest with you. Honestly.

No comments: