Friday, October 3, 2008

Immunizations

Immune - when I looked up this optomistic sounding word the first definition is "free" or "exempt." I can tell you that the 5 shots that I received today were anything but free (the total cost of my immunizations is 528.00 and I still have to purchase malaria pills!) As far as being exempt goes, I do think I have pretty good odds against getting any of the scary sounding diseases but I don't think I'm exempt. So what does this mean? It means that I have a way better chance of not getting sick (from yellow fever, typhoid, hepatitis A or B, meningitis, polio, malaria, measles, mumps or ruebella) than most of the Africans I'll be meeting. That alone makes me feel privileged beyond comprehension (and then add in running water, consistent electricity, comfortable bed, heat at the flick of a switch, abundant food....) you get the picture. Today I'm grateful and really want to keep that attitude. Thank you Father - make me truly grateful.

No comments: