Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Memorial

Friday was Mom's memorial and the day was just as I hoped it would be.  There are so many people to thank that I think I'll be busy for at least a week writing thank you's.  Many, many friends stepped up and brought food - both for the reception and for the house afterwards.  Gail was amazing in all that she did and the pictures were her hard work and love on display.  My friend, Kris, took over managing the food at the reception and even made many of the sandwiches as her tribute to my Mom - what a lovely tribute.  John O'Neal had a wonderful message at the service and the Nauss family shared a beautiful rendition of "Children of the Heavenly Father."  The people who spoke shared tender, funny and moving memories and it made me realize (again) how much I've missed that Mom.  I think one of things I'll remember most is Will's loving video presentation of his Grandma.  He spent all day Thursday putting it together and it is one of the best that I've ever seen.  The flowers were stunning (Gail's company sent 4! beautiful bouquets) and all the pink/purple flowers reflected her favorite colors back to us.  Dad looked handsome in the new suit that Mark purchased for him and he seemed a bit bewildered.  I was glad that Adrienne came to help get him ready and stayed by his side the whole time.  He took strength from her presence and held up pretty well during the service.

Afterwards, the family came back to our house and we spent the evening enjoying each other's company.  About 35 of us!  Dad was pretty exhausted and first took a nap and later still wanted to retire early.  We took turns, going in to say "good night."  All in all it was a satisfying day and one that fully embraced the good memories of Mom.
 

No comments: