Monday, November 14, 2011

Gail's Visit

The weekend of November 6th was Mom's 86th birthday and so Gail came to be with us to celebrate. And to give me a break. I took off with Ben on Friday afternoon to go and visit the girls in Oregon. We made it to George Fox in time to join Bekah at a jazz concert. Her "special friend" Leif, was playing drums during it and we ended up sitting right in front of his parents. Their relationship is sweet and I'm glad they're taking it slow. Bekah is doing so well at George Fox and seems to just glow with happiness every time I see her: such a confirmation that this is the right place for her. The next day we took Bekah to Linfield and picked up both Hannah and cousin Aaron for lunch and a trip to the Air / Space Museum. I just reveled in being with all the kids and enjoying their company. Bekah, Aaron and I watched the Imax film "The Dream is Alive" which is all about the space shuttle program. I have seen pictures of earth from space before but this was really something. Watching countries pass under the shuttle (they could circle the globe in 90 minutes) was spectacular and I found myself worshipping God throughout most of the 40 minute movie. I was moved to tears a couple of times thinking about all 7 billion people on our planet and how much God loves each one of us. Even though my limited mind cannot comprehend how He knows and cares intimately about all of us, I believe that He does.

Returning to Seattle on Sunday morning, we made it in time to join Hallack in worship and then it was home for Mom's birthday dinner with 13 of us. I know she really enjoyed it all and it was so special that all of her children (except Greg who was at work) were with her. The next day, Gail didn't have to leave until 4:30 so we had time to hang out and get caught up a bit. It was a wonderful extended weekend and I enjoyed it all. At the same time, I was ready to get back into our routine.

However, on Tuesday, the guys from Home Expressions came to start work on our bathroom and that has consumed much of my spare time and threw the routine right out the window! It was hard for Mom to have Jeff and Travis in and out all of the time - especially since we were down to one bathroom and all of us had to share it. I'm delighted to be able to say that the second bathroom is done (with a few trim things for me to catch up on) and just in time for the girls to be home.

I planted a whole bunch of bulbs on Wednesday and all the while I kept thinking - will Mom be around or aware enough to see them when they shoot forth next Spring? Will Dad? I have their angel sitting on a rock right outside the window and I planted the bulbs all around her. It should be a glorious sight come March and April and I'm hopeful that they'll be able to enjoy it. Once again I'm struck by the gift that this time is - the "living one day at a time" aspect of it. I have no choice but to rest in today.

No comments: