Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Gratitude

I've come to believe that our perspective/ attitude/outlook is what makes all the difference in our lives. I do believe we have a choice and that we are given countless opportunities every day. Some days I find it hard to be positive but I've discovered a couple practices that enable me to get back on track. First and foremost is time with God as I read His love letters to us - the Bible and then spend time in reflection and prayer. I used to read the Bible out of duty and without joy but now I experience the love of God being poured over me. A close second is the walks I take with the dogs in the woods where I get to marvel at the beauty of trees and watch Penny frolic with abandon. Everything falls back into place as I let random songs on my Ipod take me through all kinds of emotions: joy, sadness, grief, anger (even sheer delight as I rock out to Kool and the Gang :0).

So this season of Thanksgiving I want to acknowledge a few things I'm thankful for:
1. For the healing that takes place in my life and our marriage as I give control over to God.
2. For the opportunity to be stretched and grown as I care for Mom and Dad (and all the other blessings that come from having them in our home).
3. For happy, healthy, well balanced (but definitely not perfect) children.
4. For two new, clean and functioning bathrooms:0)
5. For good friends that I can share both joys and sorrows with (and that can share their's as well)
6. For the opportunity, every day, to give thanks for the abundance that I enjoy simply because I'm a US citizen.

May you find many things, both large and small, to give thanks for every day. Today, I'm especially grateful for hot coffee after a chilly walk in the woods.

No comments: