Saturday, November 15, 2008

Back to Rwanda

We are leaving Burundi today and heading back to Rwanda for our last two days. I've enjoyed Burundi more than Rwanda but it will be good to go back there and visit with our new friends for a couple days before we head home. We will go to church in Kigali, shop in the market, have meals with friends - no more heavy, sad, visits to memorials.

We have seen extreme poverty here in Burundi but the people have been so joyful that it's been more balanced. The students in the house we visited have really captured my heart. After visiting the villages that they've come from, it is even more amazing to see how they're adapting to life in the city. Last night we had our farewells with the students - but before that, we met with Evariste and Etienne to hear, once again, how grateful they are that we came to Burundi. I also helped Evariste to set up a blog - that was an unexpected delight since I'd never consider myself to be a computer whiz (just ask my kids!) but blogger makes it so easy. I look forward to reading his blog and keeping up with news of the students. Unless Evariste changes his address, it is www.youthbatwa.blogspot.com/

Afterwards we shared with the students a bit about our culture and then gave them a chance to ask us questions. I used my polar bear puppet to have some fun with them and they enjoyed it. After I had put him away, Etienne (the parliament member) asked me if he could have the puppet! Of course I said yes, so now they have a (mostly) white puppet to play with. It will be interesting to find out what they do with him :). When it came time for them to ask us questions, I was amazed by the depth of concern they have for the villages they've come from. They wanted to know what we thought and then came many pleas for help. We have heard and seen their extreme need before and what impressed me this time is that these students want what they have for more and more students. They know that this is just a start and that many more Batwa need to have opportunities for education. There is a great sense of community and commitment to their families that won't allow them to focus solely on themselves.

As they put their requests to us: more student houses, computers, higher education, even opportunities to study abroad (and this does not even touch the extreme poverty in the villages), I was tempted to get overwhelmed. Or to feel that we have to be the answer to their problems. Instead, I'm convinced that God has heard their cries and prayers and that He is at work bringing solutions. I want to help and that means listening and trusting God. I encouraged them to stand on their faith and to continue to pray. Evariste then quoted to me a verse that I'd shared with him on the van trip upcountry: "For only crazy people would think they could complete by their own efforts what was begun by God." Galatians 3:14 (The Message) I stand on the truth that God must be the Engineer of any plan to help the Batwa. I invite you to pray for them as well. They are precious in His sight (and now in our sight as well.)

I think this will be my last posting until we return home on Tuesday. I have so much more to process and post and will do so in the days and weeks to come. I want to thank you again for your prayers, support and for following this journey to Africa. We are aware that there is an economic crisis gripping the world and that fear is a great temptation for us all. I ask you to go more deeply into love and to reject fear - the great enemy of love. Love is the answer and this is the time for believers to demonstrate it. In deep peace, amahoro, Heidi

No comments: