Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Why Should I Care?

After flying for 20 hours and hanging out in airports for another 18 (well, except for the 4 hours we spent walking around Amsterdam - an unexpected treat!) we are finally home. It is beyond good to be here and I'm reveling in the usually taken-for-granted comforts of hot, clean water, clothes machines, clean sheets and the hugs and kisses of my family. We met amazing people on every leg of our journey and my hope is to introduce them to you as time and memory allow.

Today, as I walked our dog in the woods, I kept thinking about why I should care about Africa and all that I've seen. I mean, I'm home now and it's far away and life can just go on as before, right? I don't think so and I don't want it to be so. The faces, the pain, the joy of each and every one that I interacted with are indelibly printed on my heart and have changed me forever. Even those with whom I did not speak a common language have communicated with my spirit through the language of the eyes, the language of the heart. I can't pretend I haven't seen their pain, I don't want to forget that I am convinced that God cares deeply for their situations and wants us to care as well. I was reminded by Leigh that Brian McLaren has eloquently written about this very truth in his book Everything Must Change. Another book that is on my short list to read.

So, I do care. I want to care. I want to experience God's love for people - all people and that means being willing to feel the pain. There is a lot of heartache in this world and I don't have to go to Africa to experience it. The pain, the joy, the fullness of life are as close as my next door neighbor. Hallack told me that he had a run in with one of our neighbors over the toilet papering that the cross country boys did to our house while I was gone. It happened during a big rain storm and really made a mess (and some of it ended up in his trees.) He was furious and even threatening when he talked to Hallack and I've been wondering what really upset him? What is going on in his life that made this seemingly insignificant event so overwhelming? And I've been praying for him. And while I'm praying for him, I'm also praying for our new friends in Africa. And for the Towne family. And for anyone else that God brings to my heart.

So thank you, once again, for giving me this opportunity to have my heart broken and mended and expanded in ways I'm only beginning to suspect. And I owe it all to you. Thanks a lot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heidi, I've read your whole blog now, and have been impressed by every post. I hope and pray you find ways to bring your experience of God's people, and God's presence in Africa to your your life in Shoreline. I remember taking groups of people into cross-cultural situations like (and not like) this, and there being a great deal of resistance on the part of the church who were incredulous that we weren't building something, or coming back with a killer slideshow. There is something so incredibly important about simply being present to listen, learn, see, and be transformed by such an exchange. Can't wait to hear more and more about it. Tom (and Liz).

Anonymous said...

Heidi, I just read your entire blog and was very moved. I am sitting here in my swivel chair, drinking my tea, listening to the news in the background, smelling dinner cook on the stove, wondering what the family members will be bringing to Thanksgiving dinner- will there be enough pie -, petting my well fed dog, watching Rich snow blow (not shovel)the driveway.......I'm a little disgusted with myself. I have it so GOOD. WE, AMERICANS, have it so GOOD. "God, cause us to remember those that don't have it so good. AMEN" Like Steven. You gave me such a clear visual of him. Thanks for that. I will remember him in my prayers tonight, and the many others that you mentioned.
Thanks, Heidi. You made me care.
Love, Martha