Monday, November 3, 2008

We're in Africa!

We arrived in Nairobi at 8:30 last night and got to our guest house by 10pm. The sights, sounds and smells of Africa are enticing. I woke from a somewhat fitfull sleep to the intermittent beep of our smoke alarm battery dying. After trying unsuccessfully to go back to sleep; I got up, dressed quietly and slipped outside to walk around the grounds. Even in the dark I could sense the incredible beauty and variety of the flora & fauna. Some sort of large bird started squawking and several others answered back. I sat on a rope swing, dangling from an enormous tree and watched the sun bring the colors to life (I was enjoying the worship music that Bekah downloaded onto Ben's ipod - thanks kids!)

Leigh and I felt that our 24 hours of travel went very smoothly and quickly (although the toddler and her mom on their way back to India was a handful.) She sat right next to me and threw screaming fits every hour or so. I tried to help entertain her since her mom hadn't brought any toys or distractions. It brought back memories of traveling with our kids when they were little and I was grateful, once again, for what good travelers they've always been.

We leave shortly for the airport and in 5 hours will be in Rwanda! How amazing is that? I don't know how often I'll be able to get to a computer but will update as often as I can. Your thoughts and prayers are felt and appreciated.

No comments: