Sunday, November 9, 2008

Burundi Joy

Today is Sunday and we are in between an incredible worship service and our afternoon meeting. It is always a challenge to get time to update you since the internet cafes have rather slow connections - to put it mildly. I will never complain about our service again, I will never complain about our service again.....

As sorrowful as much of our time in Rwanda was is how joyful our welcome to Burundi has been. The Batwa people have welcomed us with amazing warmth and I feel as if I'm falling in love. Truly they have stolen our hearts with their stories, their hospitality and by inviting us into their lives. Last night we visited the home of Batwa students who live in Burundi in order to study, have electricity, get regular meals and all the support that comes from living in an intentional community. This home is a new endeavor since September and we are their first guests. We feel so privileged to see this incredible ministry in it's infancy. After being welcomed by each student, touring the home and feasting; the dancing began. I don't think I can give words to the experience and I'm not even sure the video will do it justice but I was so touched I had tears of joy. They even invited us into the dance and did so with some abandon. Sorry kids - I know you don't like to see me dance but it was sheer joy.

It's time to go so I'll have to write about the worship we experienced later. Glad to be here; glad to know that this week is going to be full of new people, sights and sounds. Much poverty but also much joy. Amahoro -peace, Heidi

No comments: