Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Obama in Rwanda

We woke up to the news this morning that Obama had won the election. Leigh heard the news from a Rwandan listening to the radio. It is amazing to be here in Africa and see how impacted the rest of the world is by our election. Our host, Steven, took us to buy a sewing machine for the village we were going to visit. As we walked into the shop, there was a big flat screen with Obama giving his acceptance speech - all of Africa has great hope that he will bring good change to the whole world. I pray that it will be so.

The village was almost beyond words. Steven found these women as he came to plant a church in this area. As he tells it, he was going door to door to tell them about the love of Jesus and found that all of them were either widows or orphans. He decided then that he had to do something for them and so formed an association. The sewing machine is the first step in helping them to better care for themselves. They already crochet, make baskets and tie dye cloth and the sewing machine should help them improve their productivity. They welcomed us with songs and dance and thanked us over and over again for coming and for the machine. Even though I can't speak their language, I did try to communicate love with my eyes and especially my spirit. Some of the women would light up and smile or connect with me but I'm sad to say that some are so wounded that they looked away.

We went into a house when the rain burst upon us and had fun doing puppets and listening to them sing. Steven also had them give testimonies and during one of them a baby started to verbalize. Her mom saw me smiling at the baby and handed her over to me. As I held that beautiful Rwandan baby with so much joy and life, I prayed that this would be a different world that she grows up in - a world where we take care to care and not to let genocide happen. It will take us being willing to share who we are and also what we have. Generously.

Later in the day, we were taken to another part of Kigali where Steven has organized a soccer team. This came about as he was visiting homes and discovered households of teenage boys who had lost their families to genocide. He was searching for a way to show them they're loved and to reach out to them. He decided that soccer would be a good tool and now they play with skill and enthusiasm. I loved watching them and couldn't help but think how soccer leagues in America could do so much for these boys and vice versa. Why not let our common love for the sport draw us together? I'd like to pursue that idea when I return.

So many other moments to tell but now is time to go have dinner and get another good night's sleep. I might have to have a beer as I'm not quite on Rwandan time. Thank you for your prayers - we feel them and know we're in God's Hands.

No comments: